Sunday 10 April 2011

Knitting Nurd!


I had a sudden resurge of interest in knitting in November 2009 which died down when I was struggling with some of the patterns I had chosen.   

But recently I have leapt to the challenge again, my enthusiasm re-kindled by a friend's desire to knit.  I have now finished two projects you could call UFOs - the shrug I've already posted about and these fairisle pattern fingerless gloves.  The original design was in autumn colours - I've gone more for a Spring look using Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino :




I you want to knit your own then the pattern is here! and was created by Michelle Rose Orne.  I have to say I missed out the picot edging as I had already got into the fairisle section before I noticed that bit and didn't want to start again.  My challenge here was knitting on the round on four needles - hadn't done that for some time so I had to relearn the technique.  Hard to start but easy when you get going and no sewing up at the end- always a bonus in my book!


My last UFO project is a scarf in Rowan pure silk DK yarn Damson - gorgeously soft - and is the beautiful RoseBud Neckwarmer pattern I bought off Etsy from Grace Mcewen aka KnitchicGrace - you can see it here! 

My hesitation in starting it is that I need to make a provisional cast on that I can later unpick and work in the opposite direction - it is a scarf of two halves!  I haven't acquired this technique yet and am still working it out.  It will be worth it when I do though!  If you have any tips then I would love to hear from you.

And just in case you thought that was it, I have bought these books to further my knitting nurdiness (if that is not a word then it should be!)

Alice Starmore's Aran Knitting,  and Fishermen's Sweaters and a more recent publication by Courtney Kelley & Kate Gagnon Osborn: Vintage Modern Knits. 







You can get these great books here!, here! and here!


I hope to be knitting up a storm!  How about you?  Are you a knitting nurd?

Nicky

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...