Friday 15 April 2011

Camellias on the wall!

I know I have posted about the camellias in the garden but this one is on the wall in my house.  I made it several years ago from this book, Fabled Flowers, innovative quilt patterns  inspired by Japanese Sashiko and Origami Traditions by Kumiko Sudo





I changed it a bit, as I designed and made the branch out of lace, so I could get the shape I wanted without complicated hand turn applique.   Bit of a cheat, I know, but it meant I also managed to weave in different colours and textures. 

I also made the leaves out of lace and over time and with no ironing they have curled up like real leaves which I like.  To get a similar effect in fabric would have meant a double layer of fabric which would have been too stiff - in the original, the leaves are appliqued flat onto the backing.










I like the way these wall hangings combine 3D origami flower shapes, applique and sashiko quilting.  I have quite a few of Kumiko Sudo's books - one advantage is they are written in English!
 
Hope you like it!  I hang it up every Spring around Camellia blossom time.


Must do another one of these someday - I'll put it on the to do list!  Haha!

Have a great day today and stitch if you can, if you can't, then dream about it...


Nicky

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...