Thursday 14 July 2011

New projects of a different kind!

I took my son to his friend's house yesterday and I had coffee with his friend's mum.  And then as I was in the neighbourhood I took a bit of a detour on the way home..... to a beautiful shop full of lovely goodies, but not fabric ones this time.






The name of the shop is Giraffe Gems and it sells beads - lots of them, and all the other paraphernalia required to make jewelry.   The owners are two friendly and kind retired ladies whose love of the craft spurred them into opening a shop and such is their success - a story familiar to every craft shop owner -  they now hardly get the chance to enjoy what started them off.








Nevertheless they are full of advice, will help you realise your project and make suggestions on how to do something better often with a cheaper alternative.  I do not think you could find a better craft shop than that!


Anyway I dare not go too often as I get a bit carried away but the welcome is just as warm - and they supply tea/coffee and biscuits.


Here are my purchases












I love all the colours of beads - I am a colour loving person.  But with beads you also get texture - shiny polished beads, matt beads, extra sparkly faceted beads, ribbed beads, glass beads, ceramic beads, stone beads, resin beads, metal beads and of course plastic ones.  Have to say I love them all!


It's not as hard as you think to get started and I have my brilliant friend Eloise to thank for introducing me to this craft and I just hope she forgives me for going there without her yesterday.




Now if you are missing out on quilty stuff then I recommend playing with snakes on EQ - sorry peeps you do need the software!


http://www.electricquilt.com/Users/FunStuff/Lessons/July.asp

spotted at Barbara Brackman's Material Culture.  Have fun!





Nicky

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Beads. Another passion of mine. My bead stash equally rivals my fabric stash. Thank goodness it is on a much smaller scale or I would need a house the size of a depository to store it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh....you can add beads to a quilt project! I've seen lovely embellished quilts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whattt.......without me !!???? Did you buy lots......you will have to come clean when we next meet....how lovely....new beads !!!! My idea of heaven !!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...