Wednesday 1 June 2011

More basket quilt progress!


My basket quilt started off as the result of a workshop with Margaret Hughes at the Quilt Room in Dorking.  I have posted about it here and here.  The top is complete but I need a back for my quilt.




After a false start involving some leftover basket blocks I decided to make good use of my leftover fabrics and some plains. 

So I cut my patterned fabric into 4 1/2" squares and my plain fabrics - Moda Bella Olive, Cactus and Honey Dew - I cut into 1 1/2" strips and pieced onto the centre square to make 6 1/2" unfinished blocks.

I have made the blocks and have sewn them together with a centre square in  dotty peach (another basket fabric).  I have used dotty peach triangles to straighten the edges.  A green print is squaring things up at the corners and I will add a border of Moda Bella Olive to make the back big enough - I've run out so had to order some more.  Isn't it annoying when that happens? 







I like it a lot, but it is a bit of a make-it-up-as-I-go along pattern, in other words no pattern at all!   Quite a bit bolder than the front because there is no cream neutral fabric.  I am wondering now whether they will sit well together - oh well time will tell...


All I have to do now is add my border, layer and baste and decide how to quilt it - at the moment I'm thinking of hand quilting a small motif in the basket and then some outline stitching.
Nicky

5 comments:

  1. I think they will look fantastic and you will get two for the price of one!
    If you feel like brighter just flip it over.
    I do love the baskets though, they are just divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh - the quilt back is a quilt in its own right. I would be falling in love with it, let alone getting double duty and the gorgeous baskets too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely quilt - and I love the pictures with the sun shining through the fabric!

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy again Nicky.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...