Friday 17 February 2012

Tweet Tweet!



[This post is now linked to TGIFF hosted by the lovely Rhonda at Quilter in the Gap!]


Inspired by Susan's recent posts about her birdy quilt I thought it about time to finish my own....


I first thought about making this quilt in 2010 inspired by all the great birdy fabric I kept seeing on the internet.  I bought the fabric mainly off ebay and started making my Birds in the Attic Window blocks in May 2011.






I thought it was going to be hard to mitre those frames but it turned out easier than I thought and the top was soon finished....

Then I was thinking how the back should look and still had birdy fabric to spare...My answer was found on Cindy's blog @ Hyacinth Quilt Designs  with her birdbath blocks quilt!  

I thought how cute to use this block and put birds in the bath!?




I thought just one or two would be great on the back of this quilt but got carried away and ended up with another quilt top ful!  My layout is a bit different as I added those pink squares in there just to brighten it up a tad you understand and tie it in with the skinny border on the front!




At this point I asked my readers which top should be the front? 




They all seemed to say they should be two different quilts! 




I was still thinking about putting the two together - yes I am obstinate but that could well be down to my Capricorn tendencies - and was stumped as to how to quilt it as the patterns did not match up.  That's when I shelved it for a while!

Since then I have learnt about Free Motion Quilting and all over patterns and a light bulb went off in my head and I saw that was my way forward!  My idea was birdy free motion quilting of course!


Well here is the finished quilt - now called Tweet Tweet!




Not as sunny now is it??  Birds in the Beech tree!











 Have to say that the quilting is probably my least favourite part of the quilt and this is my second attempt - don't ask!  But for someone who does not unpick, I unpicked a whole lot of bird's nest quilting in too heavy a thread and replaced it with some not great quilting...can't unpick it all again so will need to learn to love it!




I do love the label though - fed up of sewing a label onto my quilts at the end of the process I made sure I pieced a block ready to be my label.  Thinking I would hand embroider it I left it until now and then I just FM quilted that thing and that is probably the best quilting because the thread matches the background and doesn't really show! 






Ok it is not awful but I am getting more picky and I have done better I feel.  Don't tell Lucy as she will call me a hypocrite and you know what she would be right.





24 comments:

  1. It's fabulous! I love the way you stubbornly carried on and made it a reversible quilt (otherwise it would have been two UFOs and not one!!) and I think the quilting looks great - much better than I could do!! Have you given all the birds names yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I love the two quilts in one and the colours. Well done, it's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it's great Nicky! Really like a reversible, and this is a good'un.

    I really need to have another go at FMQ as it really does cut out that 'how to?' dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fail to see anything wrong with this quilting! The whole quilt is gorgeous, front, back and stitching. congratulations on another finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come on now SS, don't be so hard on yourself, you have a beautiful reversible quilt there and I would be more than happy to give it a home and love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that's really impressive, making one quilt top is hard work enough, but you managed to make two. Plus they are reversible. Loving the bird prints =D

    Also I'm holding a swap on my blog. If you're interested feel free to check it out =D
    http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.com/p/swap-time.html"

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is gorgeous and truly reversible. The quilting is great and the label was a really good idea. Congrats. Di xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic!! I like that the quilt has two beautiful sides, though it will be hard to decide which side to display as they are both amazing.
    Well done on such a fabulous finish.Another ufo to tick off the list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous quilt N! Having a pieced back as lovely as this is a really special quilt! I rarely pay that much attention to my quilt backs! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you're a bit hard on yourself about the quilting. You're miles better than me, and at least you have a go. I always chicken out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Nicky this is wonderful!! I actually cheered when you revealed you'd put them together!! So much more fun than two I think and they work perfectly. Yeah for fmq!
    I am also Capricorn, that explains so much ;)
    I love it, the colours are perfect and the fmq looks great!
    I found myself moaning about how I could have done better on my post about the JCash quilt but I read it though and deleted the bits about me not being good enough. It felt empowering!! (Even though I still actually think it!!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nicky this is fabulous - I love it!
    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How adorable, Nicky!!!! Have a lovely Sunday!

    Kristin x

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous quilts nicky - I know you've put them together as one but its really two :) love the little bird label and the purple border and binding - fabulous !

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a gorgeous quilt! You have every right to be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it. It is a quilt with two fronts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the bird fabrics that you used and the bright colors. Nice quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both sides are nice, but the bird bath really catches the eye with the bright pink! Lovely design with each birdie peeking out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think this is wonderful. I love all the birds and the way you've quilted it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful reversible quilt, Nicky! Love those birdbaths! Way to go on just quilting through the tough spots too. If we unpicked everything, we'd never get it done. :) Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely beautiful, and two quilts in one! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your stubborn streak paid off. A super amazing quilt will always beat two lovely quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look gorgeous.Definitely too nice to use for a back! :) Congrats on the finish :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...