Sunday 17 March 2013

When are geese not geese!?

This is a question I am trying to answer ....

Diane in my Modern Stitching Bee asked for Geese this month and I picked a block I liked and started cutting but then observed that my 'geese' are imposters as they are actually HST !  


I liked my chosen block so much that I made it anyway!  I love it now and am thinking of setting it as a bock for one of my bees - though it may drive them crazy if they don't like HSTs!







The essential thing is careful choice of your middle square - it needs predominantly two colours which are then repeated in the HSTs to either side!

My solid is Kona Iron which I think I prefer to Ash I have to say!

I found the tutorial here @ made during quiet time in case you are in my bee and want to practice!  Or you just like it!

Since then I have been looking at several traditional blocks with geese in the name and find that they are made with HSTs too!   


Here is another colourway I tried out!   Prefer the other one though..





But the good news is that I have found other blocks that are made with real geese!



17 comments:

  1. The middle block does make it blend brilliantly, especially in the top one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous blocks but the flying geese thing is confusing, because I can see why the block got that name, but they really are HSTs aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh god, please don't make me make that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When they've flocked off? ;o) Love the block you found, hate HSTs, but I'm not in your bees, make 'em do it :oD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, that's the block I made for a bee recently! I love both your color choice. Go on, make your ladies do it! I found it easier than than pesky geese!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty! I love your first one too! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Real geese?? Sounds messy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the blue yellow grey block - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. they are both beautiful blocks. Love your colours and the centre blocks really set it off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are both lovely but I especially like the top one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great block, shame I have an allergy to HSTs!!! I saw them as flying geese - until you pointed out that they weren't!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are several ways of making 'geese' but as long as they look fabulous, I don't think it matters! Yours are stunning! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made this block for a bee! Yours are really the prettiest I've seen! It's especially cool seeing one with a brown background!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous blocks. When is your month in the MSB? Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love these blocks! (Not sure Charlotte does, though!!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha! Look at you on a roll with your non-geese blocks. I fell in this same trap a few times trying to find a block that suits. Loving yours :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...