Sunday 10 March 2013

The Cliff Hanger!

Did she do it in time?  You betcha!  A cushion each for two birthday girls!

There are four views here but actually only two cushions - I'm not Superwoman, not yet anyhow!  I just like looking at them....this is definitely my go to birthday pressie!






And here is a tip for you...

Not sure how big to make your cushion cover!?  No time for fancy measuring?  Well make it a bit bigger than you need but still square.  These both had envelope backs so quick and easy to put together.  Turn it the right way out and iron it nicely.

Try it on for size - is it a bit bigger, looser than you like then remove the insert and top stitch a bit in from the edge - I went with about a half inch in!  

Then try it on again.   Got the fit you want?  Yes thank you !  And now you have an Oxford edge to your cushion as well as a good fit!

Still a bit too loose - then I'd go round again stitching till I had it just right.   

You have to love something that can be made to fit as you go!

I copied the heart idea from my friend Karen over here, my HSTs are just a bit smaller...2.5" I think!

21 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Nothing like a last minute finish! Happy Mothers Day Nicky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cushions, and nice little stitching of their names. Love your idea of how to make your cushion fit. I will be using that in the future I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knew you would do it and I bet you have made two young girls very happy. Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like xx ... like the tip as well x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely cushions and many thanks for the tip! It will be useful and it gives the pillows a more "worked" style. And I also learned a new word: Oxford egde, which I haven't heard before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great tip: I can see me using that. Fabulous cushions

    ReplyDelete
  7. those are great, and that's a really good tip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look great - well done for getting them finished on time too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You went down to the wire but boy it was worth it as they are beautiful cushion. Thanks for the sizing tip too. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous cushions! I looked at them and thought 'How on earth did she find time to bind them, too?' and then discovered that you did something that's far more clever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah so sweet Nicky....Well done. Love the quilting on them too. really makes them stand out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Still haven't forgiven you for blunting my pointy stick ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. They turned out so pretty. I'm sure the birthday girls will love them! Gives me an idea for a gift or two to get working on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Knew you would do it superwoman! They're lovely! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh... forgot to ask. Would it be okay if I pinned a photo of your cushions to my sewing board on Pinterest?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great cushions and top tips for that nice cushion finishing to size :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're hilarious! That silly measuring and cutting...who has time for that sort of silliness? Great gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  18. such beautiful cushions! Love the tip too, I'm all for an easy and pretty fix!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful idea for Christmas or B-day presents. Thanks for the tip, they look great with that additional edge!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...