Tuesday 3 December 2013

UFO turn around - Twist of Lime Basket Sampler

Cannot quite remember when I started my basket sampler but I do remember that I soon fell out of love with it - if I ever were!

I only managed to complete 7 baskets though I had collected patterns for about 42 different variations on the theme!   Too bloomin' PINK for my taste.







A while ago in an attempt to calm that pinkness I added some yummy grey even some text fabric in the hope I could resurrect this UFO.  But sadly though it looked better to my eye I still did not like it.




Well inspiration comes at odd times and it is truly our job to listen.   I thought what if I add another colour??  I was thinking ORANGE!  But soon realised that would not work so got out my favourite colour GREEN!  Ok not that green but a lime green!

My quilt buddy also suggested this in one of those problem solving emails we have passed between us so I knew I was on the right track...

I started out with a bit of a border or two!   Maybe channeling those medallion quilts that are around at the moment.  I did wonder if I would be creating a multi medallion quilt.





Next inspiration came from the gorgeous Green Tea and Sweet Beans quilt by Jen Kingwell - I needed other blocks as well as borders!  I made a few applique flower blocks using Jen's pattern and varied it a bit.  



And added a couple of pieced flower blocks from Suzuko Koseki's book Playful Patchwork - the Trumpet Vine and Batchelor's Buttons!   





And more blocks from Lynne and Kerry's book 500 quilt blocks!  I even adapted a couple to make them into flower blocks.





I am so thrilled how a project I had no love for has now been transformed into one I adore!  Here is it - sadly not a great day for taking photos but believe me it is a million times better than the quilt it was going to be!




See if you can count how many blocks come from 500 quilt blocks....

18 comments:

  1. Oh well done Nicky. Looks fabulous. No wonder you are feeling pleased. That twist of lime has really livened it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicky it looks glorious!! So different from the original idea and more modern but I love those traditional blocks and the lime is the perfect touch. I think we should convince Helen to put all her wisdom into a book or maybe open a quilt A&E to solve all our problems!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMg I love that so much and I didn't even recognise the ones from the book without you pointing them out to me!!! Just AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very clever to turn an unloved project into one that you like. I think that you have done an amazing job. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've said it before and I'll say it again...you're a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's fab! The green was a stroke of genius. Love it - well done x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a transformation! So much to look at and the green totally works. How on earth will you quilt it? Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh, I'm not a great fan of basket or flower blocks, but you have created something gorgeous!!!! Well done xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!!!!!!!!! That's amazing! I love it :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is fantastic! You have sent a bit of inspiration my way! I have a UFO that I have recently pulled out of hiding. When I looked at it 'what was I thinking??' So maybe I can ressurect it.!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A total wow of a quilt top. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous! You gave me hope for a quilt I'm working on!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well gee wiz! That is gorgeous! What a fabulous quilt you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely fabulous! Love where you went with this one--so much character. Great value changes from deep wine color to the bubblegum pinks too. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is simply beautiful Nicky. I can't believe you transformed those drab baskets into something so colourful and stunning. Love it :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...