Thursday 21 November 2013

Moving mountains.....

In the last few days after the challenge of finishing a UFO top I thought I'd turn my attention to a WIP!

No real reason it just shouted ME NEXT louder than anything else and the space was on the wall!

So I haven't really said anything on my blog about this one for fear of injuring Helen as she went through a phase of banging her head on her desk every time I started a new project - which I have to say was often in March/April time this year.

I have been wanting to make a delectable mountain quilt - a very traditional block - for a long time but I didn't want a traditional looking quilt!

I started off by deciding my colours for this quilt would be purple and grey - not a scheme I've gone for before! And I started making blocks following the tutorial on Bonnie Hunter's excellent blog which is a prime source of lots of good information.

I made my blocks from 6.5" squares - placed together to make HSTs.  From there on follow Bonnie's instructions - to get a block that is the very odd sized 5.5" x 8" finished!  Bonnie has a different size in her tutorial but I'm posting this here so I can remember what I did!   I had to work it out again when I re-started this project ....grumble, grumble!

Anyway piecing the blocks was fun but I wanted a modern layout so after playing around I came up with this!   I think it is quite dramatic but meant I'd have to piece in lots of background.  My original intention was to choose just one grey background but then I thought scrappy would be better.  

After cutting out most of the background I thought it still a bit boring and remembered Charlotte's brilliant idea for adding colour to her background by adding little triangles to the background - I took the easy way out with the stitch and flip technique to add a bit of purple and bright pink!  I think it works - for me anyway!

This might be my most modern looking quilt top so far though it is still grounded in tradition.





What quilt isn't??

19 comments:

  1. Wow what a ton of work, it's lovely, I think all of your choices are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooooooh! It's so gorgeous! I *love* the little coloured triangles :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It so works as a modern traditional take. Clever you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely! The little triangles in the background add so much. Love this quilt and it's ties to tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! I love the scrappy grey background and those little snips of colour in amongst them - they really add a dash of fun, Nicky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really effective design, with the pop of colour against the LV. I can't believe that you are going for finishes and not starts!!! Di x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this one, you have used the traditional block in such a clever manner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you carry on like this I'll be able to move the emergency cushion from the table beside my computer!

    I love it (the quilt, not the 'in case of emergencies bang head here' cushion!) and think you're a genius! I love the mix of colours and the way you've put a spin on the way the block is used and the little triangles were such a great idea: they really lift the background and tie it to the rest of the quilt - bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is a fantastic quilt and worthy of a magazine. Gorgeous old style but modern make

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quilt looks super. Loving the little triangles of colour. Really works a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is lovely, Nicky, what a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice missus, great effect with that spiky block section, although it looks like quite a lot of *whispers* HSTs...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this Nicky! Your fabric choices added loads of zing! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's lovely Nicky, the triangles really add to it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love this quilt ..............fabulous! Marie (mlismore@optusnet.com.au)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...