Thursday 3 November 2011

My first string project!

While making my cushion for the Brit Quilt Swap, which is string pieced, I remembered an old project I started in 2009 which was my first ever string piecing project!



It was on a workshop with Carolyn Forster called Strips and String Quilts (you can tell I like workshops with Carolyn can't you) and looking at the bag I found  it in I had every intention of making a quilt....!  Hmmmm!??


Well, I think it will make a great cushion cover and like Emily at the Strawberry Patch I can practice putting in a zip or whatever closure I decide to use on my cushion so that hopefully my swap partner's will be that much better!




So here is the front .....








and the back or vice versa...





See that pretty pile of perle - I have every intention of using it to quilt in that otherwise bare spot in the centre of the spiderweb!  




You may need your sunglasses looking at this 'cushion to be' - I am finding it rather bright even for my liking and am not sure what possessed me to chose this colour scheme but maybe I was channeling some Californian or Ozzie sunshine at the time - it definitely brings a bit of heat to my sewing room!


I may yet put this UFO project to bed, on the bed!









9 comments:

  1. Your string cushion looks lovely!! What a great "find" and its great that you can practice the zipper part for your partner, and have something for you!! Those perles look pretty-- can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. both sides of the cushion look great. Doesn't look too bright in the photos. Colours look lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will look even more fantastic with the perle cotton! I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing wrong with those colours! Obviously you need to spend more time with me to get used to the in your face colour concept!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think the colours look great - after you've spent time with Susan maybe you should round off your 'in your face' colour education by visiting the North-East?!! It's going to be wonderful and the perle quilting will look great in the spiderweb - can't wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would have put oranges and those blues together, but it looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see how you hand quilt and zip it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done SS, that looks like another UFO about to bite the dust. Lovely and colourful. If I lived near you I would definitely be coming along to Carolyns classes with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to see what you do with that lovely perle! I love the splash of blue on the reverse side - a nice surprise :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...