Sunday 7 April 2013

150 years of the London Underground!

Yes the London Underground has been going for 150 years this year!  The first underground system in the world people!





Now isn't that something to celebrate!?

Well today I am going to the London Modern Quilt Guild and taking a show and tell which was made to celebrate this remarkable fact - it was a LMQG challenge!

As I only had a day to make it - it did need to be quite a quick make and I wanted it to be something I'd enjoy making.  So I am celebrating one of the original underground stations in particular - can you guess which one!



Photo taken in the evening so not all the Sherlocks are showing!

My take on Andy Warhol and that famous detective who lives at 221B Baker Street!  So yes Baker Street station is the one I picked!





And because I did a sample first - it seems I also have a pincushion!  








Tiles at Baker Street Station have silhouettes of Sherlock Holmes, designed by 
Michael Douglas - I'm guessing it is not the actor!  - and printed by Pamela Moreton.  The design I used as inspiration for my mini quilt.





The Jubilee platforms at Baker Street feature murals illustrating Sherlock Holmes stories.  The Hound of the Baskervilles - I'm guessing





Elementary my dear Watson!

25 comments:

  1. Better than elementary! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant! Think you also use the Underground today to get to the MQG. Have fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so clever! Did you really FMQ all those Sherlocks?! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://art.tfl.gov.uk/projects/detail/10679/

    That's a great quilt theme-I have never been through Baker street, well spotted! the link above takes you to 'art on the underground', another celebratory project-the film was taken at my place of work where we manufacture the plates. I have been photographing the variations of the maze for future inspiration for a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab block Nicky, what a great theme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these! I'm a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too clever! I used to live just around the corner from Baker Street! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's just great! My OH used two work for the Underground... I will show him this.... Baker St is one of my fave stations because of those tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! looking good. but how did you get them all the same?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant! Did you hand stitch them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a clever bean. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recognised it straight away! Brilliant idea. Hope the meeting was great

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fab idea!! Of course it would be much better if Baker Street had a tiled wall of Skerlock's Benedict Cumberbatch, my guilty celebrity crush!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome. I have been a fan of Sherlock homes since I was a kid. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...