Tuesday 6 January 2015

Scraptastic Tuesday - Scrappy Clamshells

Scraptastic Tuesday


For a change I have been working on my Clamshell quilt - it has been cut from a whole heap of charm squares with my Sizzix: a fairly random selection of lights and darks, prints and solids.


I have a central panel of 256 clamshells already finished.







And I am wanting to make it bigger so I have turned it on point and am adding four corner triangles.


Yesterday I stitched the diagonal rows for the top two corners - that is another 112 clamshells by hand....





I stitched them like this...









A few people on IG didn't seem to realise how to stitch them this way....nice and quick!


Next step : I need to stitch the rows together ....not such a quick job.

Please remember it is link up time next Tuesday !   Get ready with your scrappy projects - it doesn't need to be a big project.   And I think Leanne has been working on a scrappy quilt too - I think you had better go and have a look...!

12 comments:

  1. You will have that clamshell quilt finished in no time! Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your clamshells!
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your clamshell quilt. I am just starting one for a king size bed. Can you explain why you are making it bigger this way, by making corner triangles Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get this as you are a no-reply blogger - I am avoiding joining long rows as they are slightly trickier to stitch than stitching clamshells into rows and I wanted to change the orientation of the clamshells - now they will be upright whereas before the were lying on their side

      Delete
  4. Interesting project. I haven't seen this technique before and it never occured to me to sew clamshells by hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I am intrigued with this quilt, I have never seen one like this. It is always fun to try something new. Your blog is an inspiration for this late bloomer quilter and I am your newest follower. I would like to invite you to visit my blog and come on over and help me celebrate my three year blogging birthday with a Give-A-Way.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you're secretly making clamshell curtains in that second photo...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must hand stitch at the speed of light!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love clamshells - this month's summer project me thinks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so want to make a clamshell quilt too, but I would want to machine piece it. This one is such a lovely inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...