Wednesday 1 August 2012

What Katy did!


I have a double virtual life - one here and one on Flickr and sometimes I forget to make the two connect!

With the delightful Helen I have been running the In the frame purse swap - my first time as mama and I have to say that if you feel the urge and have an idea of a swap then do go ahead!  You do need a bit of organisation at the beginning - I had Helen at the helm to sort most of that out she really is the biz! 


The biggest ordeal is getting people to give their information and then matching partners - if you are thinking eek will my partner like what I made?  Then we were thinking eek will you like your partner!?  There will never be a perfect fit but the information you give is what guides the mama so do put some thought into it.  In fact I went mainly by the mosaics - if they had a similar look - especially if they had the same purses they went into a group together and then I tried matching up individuals!  


But I only matched up half the group as I wanted a secret partner too!  So Helen chose for me and boy did she choose well!  


The lovely Katy Cameron was making for me and I apologise for not posting about this sooner - Katy what was I thinking!   I blame the puppy!  Awww!


Anyway this is one seriously talented lady from my native homeland of Scotland - she does wonderful stitchy quilting and other projects but she also makes the most delightful teddy bears !  I had the pleasure of meeting some in London at the Fat Quarterly Retreat.  








They have a weight to them that makes them a delight to hold - I was very tempted to sneak one home in my suitcase but I was good and only came home with one of Katy's Moo cards of one of her teds!

So what did Katy do ??

Look here and drool!



This purse uses the Fortune Cookie pattern and frame available from Lisa Lam's online shop U-handbag.  I have been investing heavily in this shop and have several frames to continue my purse obsession!   The gorgeous Ellie bookmark is a Zakka project - almost too pretty to use!


Having chosen one of the most gorgeous purse shapes Katy did some delightful piecing in linen and cotton strawberry print but then added some beautiful stitched detail - this gorgeous butterfly.....about to fly off!



And a snail I wouldn't mind in my garden....







There is also a ladybird, a spider - a friendly one like Charlotte -  and a bee!






So one of the advantages of being a swap mama is that you can get something exquisite too ....!  Must say I am delighted with my swap package and it is extra special to me as I have met the lovely Katy....


Now if she would just send me one of her bears....hehe.....I know too greedy for words but they are very special!











25 comments:

  1. that is a lovely purse - the detail is fantastic! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your purse and bookmark are just gorgeous! a work of art.
    Glad you did organise the swap, it has been lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful purse from Katy - no wonder you are delighted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great purse and bookmark - lucky girl, and how did I miss those gorgeous teddy bears at the retreat!!! They are stunning :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you liked it, and as for the bear weight, see that bag of chocolates between them? Yeah, that'll do it every time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I've been quiet, - holidaying without wifi!! I lovethe purses, both yours and Katy's? I've never been a fan of that sort of purse, but the biiiiiiig opening looks awesome! Mhope your victim liked it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute purse and the bookmark is adorable! Katy's bears are fantastic...I am sure they are not easy to piece together. The yellow one has such a cute expression...pretty sure he wanted to go home with you, Nicky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! I really liked watching Katy's posts when making this purse. So glad it went to a great home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you got such a fab purse and extra after your hard work putting the swap together (and addicting me to purse frame making!) I got to meet one of Katy's bears when she broke down near me. They are very special. Love that I got a Moo card with one on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your purse from Katy and I'm so glad that I managed to keep it a secret from you - I've really enjoyed watching the purses being made and thinking 'oh, her partner's going to love that'!! Thanks for setting up the swap, I really enjoyed helping you with the admin!
    P.S. I love Katy's bears...I want one ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That little purse is amazing. Oh.....the detail! Lucky you : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. This purse is exquisite! Thanks so much to you and Helen for making this such a fun swap!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it when a swap is so successful. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The purse is absolutely lovely - lucky you!
    As for being a mama - you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute purse with really neat details!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucky you. That is a seriously beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Katys purse, lucky you! Am hoping mine will appear very shortly: can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your purse is seriously gorgeous! (But then I wouldn't expect anything else from Katy!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. The detail on that purse is super, and those bears are rather special too! But if you had one it would probably be adopted by another member of the family! At least, that is what tends to happen here..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow so lucky! The purse and bookmark are gorgeous! Ha I can see why you wanted one of those bears! =D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! Those stitching details are so cute! Clever Katy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful purse. Thanks for being our swap Mama. BTW if you go down to the woods today you may find a bear of your own!!! Di x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh you lucky thing! I'd been admiring it on Katy's blog - how cool that it's yours :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. so nice to see this little purse again and I just love the elephant bookmark :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...