Monday 20 October 2014

Star plus finished

I am happy to show you a finish !

But I'm not sure I can claim it as mine.

First of all the pattern is by Claudia @machenundtun.   I met Claudia at the first fat quarterly retreat and not only is she very talented, she is lovely as well!

You can find her pattern here!  Believe me you need to make this fun quilt at least once!








As I decided to make this quilt as a Christmas pressie for my 17 year old son I asked him what colour scheme I should use and he asked for it to be the same as another quilt I made and he seems to have adopted!

So that gave me the black, white, grey and touches of red!

Then after stitching the blocks together I was looking at some quilting that the lovely Kelly aka Jeliquilts was doing - her preferred wiggly line quilting which I love but have not been that tempted to copy till now.




It just so happens that my beloved Bernina needed some surgery before I tackle some FMQ - she was making horrid noises unless I went really slowly and swirly FMQ just wasn't going to happen at that speed.  So very reluctantly I handed her over to my lovely Sewing Machine Surgeon!  Along with my even older Singer ( I reckoned I should have a spare as it feels like my limbs have been cut off if I cannot sew).   Unbeknownst to me the Sewing Machine Surgeon had picked up an old vintage Jones machine from a lady and he offered me the use of this machine in the interim.  




Perhaps he saw the glazed look and nervous tick in the eyes of a true addict!?

Anyway this Jones machine seems to love straight line quilting - eating the quilt out of my hand and asking for more quilt sandwich while making a beautiful even stitch!  My previous attempts have been filled with lots of pushing and neck and shoulders aching!  

I am so happy - everything came together so well - I even had enough of a black white chevron print for the binding!




Happy day and one Christmas present finished (and it is still only October!)




The back...





Finish Along 2014

24 comments:

  1. That's a stunning quilt for your son! I love the backing too! Hope the post-op recovery isn't too long! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt, it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you! Great quilt and early finish in one! I need to take a leaf out of your book.... Di x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You already know I love this. Perfect boy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WTG on the finish, your son chose well on the colour scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I love this! If he gets tired of it, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH, how I love this one...scrappy! I could do it scrappy! Thank you for sharing your wonderful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love the colour palette you chose for your son's quilt. Really eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job. Lucky boy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect quilt for your son! I love how different colours change the look completely

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Nicky,
    this is a beautiful quilt. Wonderful work and congratulations on an early Christmas finish. You are fast and really ahead of time.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! Your son must be delighted and happy! Well done and an other project finished on your list! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - such a cool quilt and perfect for a very-nearly-grown-up son!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely quilt! Great colour scheme and I really like the pattern. You are steaming through these quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so gorgeous Nicky! What a great finish

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's gorgeous!!! I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This quilt turned out lovely! Perfect for a boy. It is a really pretty block design, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this quilt design! And the colours your son has chosen are great. I think he will love the quilt and take it with him when he moves out. Does he have it already or are you making him wait until Christmas to get it?

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...