Tuesday 3 February 2015

Scraptastic Tuesday - more Liberty blocks and a new scrap project




Scraptastic Tuesday


I made these blocks last week but still haven't written them up as yet - naughty me.  I am listing all links to the Scraptastic blocks on my Scraptastic Sampler page above and have started putting diagrams of the blocks with the links and editing to give fuller instructions on each block - while I still remember.   They can be used to make my sampler quilt or as a one block quilt should you prefer.  

I think most people prefer a bit less chaos than me!   I find I get easily bored repeating the same block and maybe that is the reason why I ended up with so many projects on the go at the same time,  and will probably always need a few!  (Sorry Helen)

This is called New Album on EQ



And this is called Four Patch Variation  - could be a fun 3D type block in a quilt but I haven't played as much on that aspect as I could have here...




But as I am nearing the end of this project it is time to start thinking how I should use up my ever growing pile of scraps! (oops stop reading Helen)

To be totally honest the sampler project hasn't made much impact on my scrap bins as the Liberty fabric is hoarded in a box kept in a cupboard - so quite neat and tidy!

A lot of my scraps are really quite small so I thought small blocks using 1 1/2" square and strips would be a better scrap buster for me.  

I found a photo for this Hot Cross Bun Block on Bonnie Hunter's website Quiltville!   If you haven't heard of her you really must visit.   She really does know her scraps! 

And you should check out her famous Scrap User System where she cuts up leftovers from previous quilts into useable sizes 1.5", 2", 2.5", 3.5" squares, strips and bricks (twice as long as they are wide!) - this way half her work is done when she wants to start a scrap project.

Anyway you will need four fabrics for these blocks or more if you go really scrappy which I may have to when the longer strips run out!






a 1.5" square
b  four x 1.5" square = 1.5" x 6" (total length of fabric required!)
c  four 1.5" x 2.5" rectangles = 1.5" x 10"
d  four 1.5" square and 
e  four 1.5" x 2.5 " rectangles = 1.5" x 16" in the same fabric as D

I shall be cutting up my scraps to suit!

This is what I might end up with - I will be alternating light and dark crosses I think!




Though putting them on point with sashing, an adaptation of what Bonnie has suggested, also looks good...





My blocks so far



If I make four every day for the rest of the month I'll have 108 5" finished blocks!  That would be quilt sized...


Happy Scrapping!

I am back to working on my UFOs!  I may finish a quilt top soon...

Wonder what Leanne my partner in scrappy crime is up to...I know she has shown a few lovely finishes in her round up of January - scrappy things included!

5 comments:

  1. What a difference when on point. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those scrappy little blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have such beautiful projects. And you are so fast!! Great work Nicky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like your new scrap blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the hot cross bun blocks set on point with sashing!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...