Hold the front page!
I'm a bit behind, between catching up with washing after a short break in Seville, taking the doglet for a good long walk, internet and laptop problems and working on the latest #siblingstogether quilt.
I received some orphan blocks some months back from my lovely friend and Stingy beemate Catherine!
From early on I thought they would make a good border to a medallion quilt. I researched some complicated centre blocks but then I thought I should just keep it simple. I'm making a quilt in my siblings together bee out of this simple tile type block and I thought it would work here too.
As my donated blocks are orphans I don't have the fabrics these were made from so what could I use from my stash? I found what I had in the tones already used - they weren't an exact match but I find that a scrappy quilt is quite forgiving as long as you mix it up.
Then I decided I wanted a colour that would bring a bit of a sparkle to the quilt! I tried green but it wasn't working, then tried aqua, which seemed to bring that 'je ne said quoi'!
It was getting there but not big enough. When I asked for suggested borders on Instagram (nickyeglinton - if you want to find me) I was offered two - nine patches from Alison and piano keys from Trudi ! So both went in the mix and I ended up with nine patch corner stones that echo my centre block and stripy piano key borders ...
I think I was right about that medallion style and my friends were right about those borders don't you?
So what scrappiness have you been up to?
A huge thank you to our generous sponsors for providing the following prizes which will be awarded randomly among those of you who link up.
- Mad About Patchwork - a $40 gift certificate
- Oakshott Fabrics - a Colourshott charm pack, colours 31 - 57
- Green Fairy Quilts - $25 gift certificate
- Fat Quarter Shop - $25 gift certificate
- Massdrop - a set of Bobbin Buddies
- Sew Sisters Quilt Shop - $25 gift certificate
- Sew me a Song - a $20 gift certificate
Please join Leanne @ She Can Quilt and I by linking up a blog post or flickr or instagram photo sharing a scrappy project, in progress or finished, or your thoughts on dealing with your scrap mountain:
- You don't have to have joined us before, everyone is welcome.
- One link per person, and it will be your entry into the random draw for the prizes. It is the same link up here and at Leanne's blog : She Can Quilt - so you only need to link up on one of our blogs.
- Please visit at least a few of the links, they are very inspiring, and leave comments too as everyone loves to connect.
- Use the Scraptastic Tuesday button if you like (code is on the sidebar) and invite your friends to join us too.
- The link is open until next Monday night at 10:00 pm MST. We will announce the winners next Tuesday.
- If you have trouble linking up, let me or Leanne know and we will get you sorted.