Sunday 14 September 2014

It is finished!




Friendship's Garden was my oldest UFO dating from 2005 when I went on a course to learn how to applique. 





It was a great pattern to choose as there are straight lines, inner and outer curves but it is not so complicated to put you off.  It is a Blackbird Design by Alma Allen and Cherie Ralston.  

This is the original from the book - I moved the pineapple block into the middle so I could turn my quilt around anyway up and made a block from a different Blackbird design as my ninth block.



I had a very patient teacher in Julia Illman - she still teaches and has her own shop called the Patchwork Cabin in Great Bookham in Surrey.  Perhaps I should send her a photo of my much belated finish?



The thing that frightened me back in 2005 was the HST sashing...


 And then when I finished that it was that swag border that made me delay further.





And then the block to getting it finished was how to quilt it.  I have talked it over with Helen so many times but then we talked about stippling (again - I'm sure). 

The stippling was the right decision without a doubt  - thank you Helen - but it nearly drove me to tears!  So very boring but just what was needed to make the applique on this quilt pop.






And the wreaths are crosshatched with my quilt label information in the centre!





And now the pain of birth is over I am totally delighted with my baby!








And the moral is: don't give up on those 9 year old UFOs - sometimes they can grow up into beautiful quilts....



Finish Along 2014

22 comments:

  1. That is truly the best UFO ever!!! Such a beautiful quilt...congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an incredible amount of work and the quilting is so perfect, the appliqué really shines! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really beautiful quilt! So worth finishing! Your quilting makes the appliqué pop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic finish! Beautiful and totally proof that it is possible to eventually clear old UFOs! You're a star.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was never an ugly duckling but it is surely a beauty now! Congratulations on a wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ypu should be delighted. It is beautiful and your quilting is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg so worth the wait. I don't think it was ever an ugly project. It's magnificent.
    I have just done cart wheels around the room in celebration.
    so well done Nicky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the quilt you were working on when I first started reading your blog - 3 years ago? It looks lovely, and the quilting, as always, is stunning! Well done, Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is stunning! I can only try to imagine the number of hours just the applique took you, let alone the quilting. What a treasure you have created!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's gorgeous! I wish I was so good at stippling that I could be bored : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot believe how quickly you got this done, after the initial 9 years of course! I mean the quilting - I'm sure it was just the other day you said we had to nag you into quilting a block a week! It looks amazing, great finish,w ell done

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an achievement! I don't much fancy making those applique stars in the border, I can see why you put those off. The quilting is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  13. *stands up and claps really loudly* *adds a few cheers* It's absolutely stunning and well worth all your hard work - bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow this is just beautiful - just goes to show you should never give up on a project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful beautiful masterpiece! :) Congratulations on so much hard work finally done...and just a feast for the eyes remains :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh you should definitely take it in to her. Brilliant finish Nicky

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness! It looks beautiful Nicky! You should definitely show it to your appliqué teacher - she'd be thrilled to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well done, Helen might forgive you the newest one after all ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! Great job finishing!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...