Sunday 11 November 2012

Photos in the morning mist!

...if I've been quiet it is because I've been busy!

I got so far with the Frite Nite quilt but not far enough to finish for Hallowe'en.

But having got so close I couldn't just leave it there...after all this quilt is on my finishalong quilt list this quarter and was last quarter.  I also had it on my lazy bums list for two months too - all without making much progress.

I had the bit between my teeth and with encouragement from you my friends I have finally finished this quilt - ok imagine me doing backflips and cartwheels - we all know I cannot actually physically do them but I feel like I should be able to!

I was asking the fabulous Trudi what colour of thread to use in quilting and was thinking of grey but when I looked at the grey thread on the quilt as she suggested it just didn't look right so some of you may have to look away as I actually used brown ! 




I know it seems like madness quilting brown on black but I think it works - it shows but not so much it takes away from those graphic skulls.  It looks good on the creamy white skulls ( I make that almost seem quite friendly - hehe!)  and keeps the warmth of the red and orange on the other side. 




The motif I used was a spiderweb which is a brilliant overall pattern - so easy to fit into a space and move in different directions, can be made denser or more open at will and quite forgiving I thought as I haven't necessarily filled every piece of the webs because I thought in nature they are often damaged - I think that fits this quilt well!   


Look away if you are arachnophobic for where there are webs there must be....





So here are lots of photos!   Can you tell I am pleased to finish this??

The Red Side!




The Dead Side!





My last bit of happiness is due to my quilt label.  For some time - since learning to FMQ - I have been quilting my label info straight onto the quilt.  I am lazy and really cannot be bothered adding a label onto a quilt after binding it.  Plus there has been some chat of quilts going missing and labels removed when entered into a show - not that I do enter my quilts in shows but I like to be ready!  


And then I also like to have double sided quilts and a label added after isn't that pretty a sight so this way the information is there but not so visible that is is the first thing you see!




Anyway this time I thought I needed scary letters!  So I have 'written' my letters as if they are hidden under a sheet -  I tested it on my hubby and with a bit of help he managed to read it!  My theory is if he can then ..... you know the rest!















24 comments:

  1. superb finish!! love the spider web quilting, it looks amazing.
    Am imagining the cartwheels, weeeee I am even joining in to help celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big well done on your scary finish! Cute wee spider too and your label idea is genius! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, fab, love the spider and the name in it too! (I can forgive the brown, I can't really see it ;o) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it Nicky! I am always astonished by your talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cant tell you how much that ROCKS!! The dead side especially, I love it, and the quilting is just awesome :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilting just finishes the quilt to a tee. The name label is a brilliant idea. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool quilt! The quilting is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, it's wonderful! I love the skulls, the yellow teeth (ugh!), the cobwebs (even Incy Wincy's much scarier cousin!) and your writing is amazing! Three cheers for Nicky and her fabulous finish...hip hip...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That quilting is a work of genius! SO perfect for the quilt. You are good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh brilliant - brown eh? Well it is meant to make you scream!! You are right though, I would have said a burgundy, and that probably wouldn't have looked much different. Great finish xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicky you have excelled yourself! This is one of my favourite quilts ever!! It looks fantastically spooky and the quilting is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ink marvellous finish! Knew you could do it , and who knew. ... Brown? !

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is looking great on both sides. Congrats on the finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - you have been busy! I have brought new depths of lows to the world of quilting today but I've given up and thrown it in the corner. Perhaps tomorrow will be better. Love the skull quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That quilt is so cool! I love both sides and your FMQ skills are awesome! Did you put your name on it before quilting or is it quilted in? Either way it is still amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love it all Nicky - the quilting, the cute spider, the skulls are fabulous, and the quilting labels is awesome - so glad for you that its finished :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...